(Learn about the RIC-UCC)
The RIC-UCC Haiti Task Force was founded 25 years ago when now retired, conference minister Rev. Dr. H. Daehler Hayes partnered with the Rev. Jean Dorisca, the founder of the Mission Evangelique Baptitise Bethesda (MEBB) churches. Numerous groups have traveled to Haiti since 1990 and continues today more dedicated than ever to its Mission:
Providing education, quality health care, orphan relief, and community-based services for the people of Haiti. We do this through student and school sponsorship's, financial support for medical clinics, sustained friendship and joint advocacy for positive change.
Over the years the Task Force has:
· Built two multipurpose buildings to house schools and clinics
· Built a nursery and bathroom for an orphanage
· Provided bunk beds, mattresses, and a generator for an orphanage
· Provided a solar system for an orphanage
· Sponsored individual children and schools that provide education to over 600 students
· Several churches provide suport to the clinic that regularly serves over 375 patients a month, by paying
salaries and monies for medicines.
· Built wells in three communities bringing fresh water to over 1000 people in each community
· Brought a child to RI for brain surgeries and a young man to Massachusetts for bi-lateral knee
replacement. Both successful operations could not have been performed in Haiti
· Fostered a strong fellowship that brings the people of Haiti together with their Rhode Island brothers
and sisters in the truest meaning of loving one another.
· Provided funding to improve the lives of the tiniest of Haiti’s needy – orphans
RIC-UCC Board Member
Rev. Dr. H. Daehler Hayes was instrumental in establishing the RIC-UCC Haiti Task Force, 25 years ago
Rev. Dr. H. Daehler Hayes
Retired Conference Minister RIC-UCC
Sponsor Program Coordinator
I fell in love with Haiti 10 years ago. The people in Haiti reached in and grabbed my heart on my first trip. My passion in life is to do all I can to help these wonderful people.
I am from Haiti but currently live in Michigan. My dream has been to start a foundation to help young people stand on their own.
Program Manager - Adult Ed
RIC-UCC Haiti Task Force Steering Committee:
Suzanne Swanson, Chair
Carolyne Ainsworth Wendy Merriman Leslie Cote Betty Prescott
Rev. H. Daehler Hayes Walter Prescott
Shirley Hardison Linda Sable
Janet Igo Jessie Schoepfer Christina McKenrich Lora Spalt
The Haiti Task Force is affiliated with and a division of the
Rhode Island Conference United Church of Christ (RIC-UCC).
Suzanne Swanson, Task Force Chair serves on the RIC-UCC Board of Directors.